Saturday, February 9, 2013

Introduction


      I currently work as a carpenter. I love working with my hands to create. I have a family, I enjoy spending time with them. I enjoy learning new things. I'm your average guy. You don't need a degree to learn how to make good decisions based on sound, solid evidence. All it takes is a little time to learn how to spot bad arguments, or useless evidence.
      
      Critical thinking is becoming one of the most important skills to learn. It's going to be even more important to be able to pass on those skills to the next generation. We're living in a time where we have unprecedented access to information. Good and bad, we can find all kinds of information on the Internet. Critical thinking gives you the skills to separate the good information, facts based on evidence and logic, from the nonsense and magical beliefs so prevalent on the Web. One good example is the flat earth society, if there wasn't so many pictures, and other evidence to refute this, would they be making a good argument?

      Critical thinking is not difficult to learn. All you need is a few simple skills. Hopefully through this blog, and by demonstrating how some of these arguments fall down under closer scrutiny, we can make the best decisions for our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment